|Further proof that GCSE metalwork was the most valuable part of my formal education.
||[Jun. 9th, 2008|03:29 pm]
Yak-shaving at its finest:
That, I think, was the high-point of the call stack: I've elided various extra steps and dead ends. In the end, I was able to (a) recover all the data (including over a year of un-backed-up mountain photographs), and (b) mount the hard drive in another laptop which had a broken hard drive, thus cobbling together one working computer out of two broken ones. But overall, a less than productive weekend.
- This weekend, I wanted to work on my thesis.
- But my laptop refused to boot up (inevitable, really, after this post). I had backups of the thesis, but they were a few days old.
- Edit: First, I tried booting from CD.
- But that didn't work.
- So I tried some other CDs.
- But they didn't work either.
- So I tried the boot CDs in a different machine.
- They worked, so I concluded that the problem was with the machine and not the CDs.
- So I tried to remove the hard drive and mount it in a USB drive cradle.
- But the screw heads on the drive mount sheared off when I tried to unscrew them.
- So I tried all the screwdrivers in my toolbox until I found one that fitted better.
- I found one, but the first two screw heads were now too damaged to use.
- So I tried removing the screws with pliers.
- But the pliers skittered off before they managed to turn the screws.
- So I tried to file down the sides of the screw heads into rounded squares, so the pliers would get better grip.
- But the protruberances on the sides of the drive enclosure got in the way of the file.
- So I had to file them down first.